Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dogma Wars: A Call For Topics

Once upon a time, long long ago, before the publisher put a limit on the size of my book, I was going include a chapter on Dogma Wars in database development. In keeping with the use of verbs-as-titles for all the other chapters, this chapter was going to be called "Debating":

Chapter 11 Debating

  • NULL versus NOT NULL

  • If It's Not Normalized, It's Not Right

  • Artificial Keys are OK! Artificial Keys are Evil!

  • Isolation Level 0 versus 1, 2, 3, Snapshot

  • No Access to Base Tables, Only "Base Views"

  • Optimistic versus Pessimistic Concurrency Control

  • SELECT * is OK! SELECT * is Evil!

  • Goofy Naming Conventions

  • CASE Tools Suck, Notepad Rules!

  • Schemas Via Ownership

  • Checking For Errors

Now it's years later and I'm wondering if anyone's interested in reading more, here, on this blog... about any of those topics, or any others. Post a comment here, or send me a private email, if you've got anything to say.

Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting topcis - and I would like to hear your point of view (particularly as it is going to be poignant:))

V. Barth

Anonymous said...

Obviously the most interesting chapter has not yet been written! (Although I did find the material that is already included in the book to be very educational and useful.) I would love to hear you expound on these topics.

Anonymous said...

CASE tools - I wonder how many people who really have the choice actually use them?

Justin Willey

PS only just spotted your blog Breck